Saturday, August 11, 2018

From Pampering to Necessary Care

For most of my life I had neither the time nor the money for things like manicures or massages.  And, frankly, I thought they were kinda frivolous.  I could take care of myself!

Now I'm grateful for all the help I can get.

As we get old it's not so much the big stuff that steals our independence, it's the basic stuff that we need to keep up with.  What we used to call pampering becomes necessary.  And, unfortunately, much of it is not covered by insurance.

A year or so ago I had several sessions of acupuncture - the ancient art of sticking people with long needles.  It helped me deal with my Meniere's disease.

Dave and I regularly get pedicures together.  He used to go kicking and screaming but now he realizes how important it is for us oldies to keep our feet in tip top shape.  Pedicures, especially for older men,  are necessary.  I remember reading an article years ago about a doctor who made it his mission to care for the feet of homeless people.  He set up shop in public library restrooms where these people hung out.  If they wanted, he examined their feet and clipped their nails.  Most of us, if we live long enough, will come to the time when we can no longer clip our own nails.  It's humbling.

This leads me to my encounter on Thursday with Linda, my massage therapist.  The goal of therapeutic massage is to achieve structural changes.  I don't see Linda often but when I need her she's there. She has all kinds of credentials but what she has isn't as important to me as what she is.  Linda is a healer.

I had been having some serious back pain for a while.  Nothing I did would make it go away.  I'm not a fan of pain killers but  even resorted to Advil a few nights.  Finally, I spent an hour on Linda's massage table.  Was it pleasant?  Let's just remember there is a fine line between pleasure and pain.  As soon as I lay down Linda said, "Your back is twisted."  As she worked I was about to say "Uncle" a few times but we go through it.  I trust Linda. Thursday night I didn't sleep well.  Not only my back, but everything hurt a little.

But on Friday all of the pain was gone.


***