Saturday, July 14, 2018

Stephen King - Revival

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons, even death may die. 

The quote above, from H. P. Lovercraft is in both the beginning and the end of Stephen King's book, Revival.  It can be either comforting or terrifying, depending on how you interpret it.

I'm enjoying my Stephen King summer.  So far I've read Mr. Mercedes, Dr. Sleep, and now Revival.  I started Cell but put it down after a few pages.

Some reviewers have said that Revival is one of King's scariest novels.  I don't think so..  I love the character development and the slow pace.  All of the characters are deeply flawed.  Like us real humans.

I love the speculation about the hereafter.  Most of the actual theology books I read ask more questions than give answers.  I like that.  I'm reading a theology book right now, as well as my daily Bible readings.

Revival is not a theology book - but it does pose theological questions.  One of the themes is Methodism. Jamie, the protagonist, grew up in a good Methodist home.  He later became a heroine addict.  It happens.   His minister, Mr. Jacobs, later becomes one scary dude.  That happens as well, but not very often in my world.

Midway in the book, a character named Hugh is "cured" of a mysterious illness.

...just as he was losing interest and getting ready to walk back to the fleabag where he now hung his hat, the vertigo hit.  He reeled, putting out one hand and knocking over a disassembled stern speaker...Before he hit the shop's dusty wooden floor, all had turned black...When he woke up he was in Jacob's office...."I have something called Meniere's disease."

Wow!  Stephen King knows about Meniere's disease.

The former Methodist minister, Mr. Jacobs, now believes that "Electricity is the basis of all life." Even though they've just met, Mr. Jacobs wants to perform a medical experiment to rid Hugh of his Meniere's. Hugh gives it some thought.

...Beethoven had lived with deafness, but hearing loss wasn't where Hugh's woes ended.  There was the vertigo, the trembling, the periodic loss of vision.  There was nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, galloping pulse.  Worst of all was the almost constant tinnitus. 

Hugh decides to try the experiment!  I sort of get it.  But, don't worry I wouldn't try anything like this.  Partly because I don't believe that electricity is the basis of all life.  I'm still a Methodist.


***