Monday, July 9, 2018

Hard Work

The outside of our sun room is white aluminum.  About twice a year it needs to be scrubbed down and the six floor to ceiling windows washed.

I used to do this myself but then it got too much and the maintenance guy for our association did it for a fee.  But that's no longer an option.

We, like many other places in the country are experiencing a boon.  Lots of jobs, small and large, are waiting to be done.  So almost nobody is available to do a one hour hard, dirty job.  I finally found one guy would would do it for $250 but he's not available to run over for an hour's work anytime soon.

I feel so grateful for the Mexican yard guys who work year 'round in the intense heat to keep our live oak forest called Oak Harbour looking good.  If it wasn't for these guys and gals, and others like them, I don't know what Florida would do.  We would fast turn back into a jungle.

This morning I ended up cleaning the aluminum panels myself - and power sprayed all of the windows.  I feel good about doing it but I'm beyond tired and my body is asking me "What were you thinking?"  Don't know what we'll do six months from now.  It's these jobs that make us think about giving up the condo and going to the Home.  (Just kidding, we're not ready yet.)

Several decades ago, along with other volunteers,  I was on my hands and knees the scrubbing the floor of a filthy house so that a grandmother and her four little grand kids could move in.  A man in a suit came in to get me to sign some papers. And said to me in a very condescending way:  "I wouldn't do what you're doing for any amount of money."  I replied, "Neither would I."

But, like I said above, I'm so very grateful for people who go to work everyday to do the hard manual labor that needs to be done to keep us going.


***