Saturday, June 30, 2018

Stephen King Summer

Fiction is the truth inside the lie. - Stephen King

In the summer I read fun books. To me, that's mysteries with a heavy plot line.  My favorite in that realm is John Sanford.  But, to my knowledge, I've read everything he's written.

When one of my daughters was young she loved Judy Bloom.  But she was always frustrated because Judy didn't write fast enough.

I feel the same way about Sanford.

In May I read a rave review of Stephen King's new book.  I was reminded of how his characters are so well defined.  Delores Claiborne was one of my favorite fiction books ever.  I also liked Misery and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. But these are not the paranormal, science fiction, otherworldly books King is famous for.

So far this summer I've read Mr. Mercedes. Very entertaining and very much in the style of John Sanford.  Interestingly, Sanford and his protagonist Lucas Davenport are referred to in Mr. Mercedes.  

For my next pick I finally dove off the deep end and read Doctor Sleep. This is the sequel to The Shining and comes in at almost 600 pages. Even though I'm not into the "otherworldly" stuff I liked it.  We get to find out what happened to that little "Shining" boy and his mom.  I just returned from the library with my next Stephen King read - Cell.

Stephen King is one of our most prolific writers.  I have no idea how he's churned them out all these years.  Most of his books are about good verses evil.  Good usually wins, but not without some serious loss.  This is like real life - minus the ghosties.  (But then Stephen King says the ghosts are real and inside of us so I'll have to think about that.)

Below is one of my favorite Stephen King quotes.  Please don't judge me.

People think I must be a very strange person.  This is not correct.  I have the heart of a small boy.  It is in a glass jar on my desk.


***