Saturday, June 16, 2018

Gotti/Travolta

Gotti      Travolta
So, yesterday we decided to go to the movies.  We looked over everything out there and decided the only films that interested us were "Gotti" staring John Travolta and "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" staring Fred Rogers.

For some reason we chose "Gotti."  I went to Fandango to buy our tickets before looking at the reviews.  This film, out for 24 hours, has the worst ratings I've ever seen.  Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer rates it ZERO.

The reviews are very funny.  All horrendous.  After sitting in the theater for half an hour Dave leaned over and said, "I'm ready to leave anytime you are."

"No. I'm enjoying this!"

It was as if John Travolta was on Saturday Night Live doing the most over the top John Gotti impersonation you could possibly imagine.  Only, instead of lasting five minutes he goes on for an hour and a half.

None of the shooting people in the head every couple of minutes bothered me.  (The brief torture scene did.)  I didn't bother to try to stay with the plot.  Travolta had me mesmerized.  The very first scene was supposed to scare me.  It made me laugh.  I read that there were 44 producers on "Gotti"  It looks like they each got their input opportunity.   Most reviewers use the term "mess" to describe "Gotti."  One reviewer said of this film about one of the worst mobster/killers ever in the history of our country...."John Gotti deserves better."

If you accidentally find yourself in the theater where "Gotti" is showing, just relax.  Have fun. Enjoy Travolta chewing up the scenery.

Next weekend we plan to see "Won't You Be My Neighbor."


***