Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Valentines

Card from Dave
Happy Valentine's Day.

This is the Valentine card I woke up to this morning.  I'm a lucky girl.  What did I give Dave?  Nothing.

He's a much more romantic person than I am.  Sometimes when I'm overcome with love for him I shake his hand.  I'm much more comfortable speaking from my head than from my heart.

One of the best things about great literature is that it speaks for us when we don't have the words.  I love the play "The Rainmaker" by Richard Nash.  In it is a famous monologue the character Lizzie shares about her father.  I know it by heart.

It's not exactly about Dave and me.  For instance, Lizzie's speaking about her father not her husband.  She's doing the dishes. Dave does the dishes at our house.  Neither of us is middle-aged.

Nevertheless, this is my valentine to Dave:  I want him to know that I see him and I know him.

Lizzie's Monologue - The Rainmaker by Richard Nash

Some nights I'm in the kitchen washing dishes and pop's playing poker with the boys.  Well I'll watch him real close.  And at first I see an ordinary middle-aged man - not very interesting to look at.  And then, minute by minute, I'll see little things I never saw in him before.  Good things and bad things - queer little habits I never noticed he had.  And suddenly I know who he is!  - And I love him so much I could cry!  And I want to thank God I took the time to see him real. 


***