Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Falling Down

 
Each year, about 350,000 Americans fall and break a hip.  Of those, 40 percent end up in a nursing home, and 20 percent are never able to walk again.  The three primary risk factors for falling are poor balance, taking more than four prescription medications, and muscle weakness.  Elderly people without these risk factors have a 12 percent chance of falling in a year.  Those with all three risk factors have almost a 100 percent chance. - Atul Gawande, "Being Mortal"

For older people, men and women, falling is a big deal.  My good friend, Trish, who is agile, strong, healthy and beautiful, fell recently on the last two steps of her stair case. Trish went home a couple of days ago after a month of intense pain in the hospital.

This was a big reminder to me of how important it is not to fall. And I enjoy telling people not to get on ladders or walk on dark streets, etc.   

So, on Saturday morning, while Dave and I were taking our regular three-mile walk - I fell!  Not badly hurt at all but I did have to get a bunch of stitches on my face and I have a sprained wrist.  

We're currently in Naples, Florida.  One of the most beautiful places on earth.  It's the kind of building and landscaping that God would do if God had the money.  Also the people look perfect.  Old but perfect.  

We're here to visit with Dave's old friends from his former life - all good friends of his first wife, who, by the way, was stunningly beautiful.  So, naturally, I wanted to look marvelous.  But, instead I have stitches and a black eye.  

So even if a fall doesn't kill you or put you in the hospital for a month - it can be extremely inconvenient - so don't fall down.  


***