Monday, October 2, 2017

Columbus - The Movie

Is architecture healing?

Yesterday we went to our little gem of a theater, the Enzian, to see the film, "Columbus."  Being in this cozy theater, whether sitting at tables or, in our case, on a couch, is always fun - and calming.  This starts as soon as you drive into the wooded lot, park the car, and then walk through the lovely outdoor Eden bar.

And the film "Columbus" was excellent - and also calming.  Let me give you a little background.

There is a town in Indiana (of all places) that has a plethora of structures designed by famous modern architects, like I. M. Pei, Eero Saarinen and Richard Meier.    Many years ago, J. Irwin Miller, president of Cummins Engine, based in Columbus, established a foundation and commissioned renowned architects to design scores of magnificent buildings, including his own home.


This film celebrates these structures while also asking the question,  is architecture healing?  The story line involves a young woman who is in pain, her heroin addicted mother, a Korean man who is in pain - and the buildings.

This film is very sloooow mooooving.  My advice to you is to sit back and enjoy every scene.  If you do I think you'll find that, yes, architecture is healing.  For us as well as the characters in the film.

As you know I'm from Indiana and will be in Indianapolis later this week.  I hope I find that my fellow Hoosiers are excited about "Columbus" the movie.


***