Friday, September 1, 2017

We're All in This Together

Today at lunch Dave and I talked about Hurricane Harvey.  The horror of it and the amazing heroes who keep emerging out of it.  We wondered if some day we'll be able to harness the weather by finding a way to distribute water thereby eliminating hurricanes and drought.

Dave was skeptical but I think it's possible.

A while back I read a book by American Catholic theologian, Robert Barron.  It's a tough read but I liked it.  In one section he talks about all of creation being connected.  I love the following illustration.

The movement of my fingers now typing these words is dependent upon a chain of causes stretching up through my muscular and nervous system to my brain; and my brain's activity is here and now dependent upon the influence of the oxygen that I am breathing; which is in turn dependent upon the gravitational attraction of the earth that keeps it in the atmosphere, which is dependent upon the spin of the planet, which is dependent upon the pull of the sound, etc.  If we continued in this vein, we would inevitably arrive at God.....

So, whether we like it or not, we're all interconnected.  And most of us, including God, are pretty good problem solvers.


***