Friday, September 29, 2017

Vertigo Update

Thanks to all of you who've wondered why I haven't been writing for a while.  Let's blame the vertigo.  Actually, it's not so much the vertigo as the medication I take to tame it.

It renders me unmotivated.

I found a doctor who's known as the vertigo expert in Florida and he's only 20 miles away. He's called "The Dizzy Doctor."

He immediately diagnosed me with Meniere's Disease.   It's characterized by severe, spontaneous bouts of vertigo and vomiting lasting from several hours to days - along with a boatload of other symptoms that are disturbingly familiar to me.  The treatment is totally different from my previous diagnosis, BPPV.

It's hard to believe how difficult it is, especially as we get older,  to get a proper diagnosis for our ailments.  I have two friends who suffered for years before learning they had Parkinson's Disease.  For those of us who don't like to make fuss, it can take much longer.  It's up to us to persevere.

I'm coming along.  I take the meds and haven't had a bad bout since June.  I still feel happy for every single day I'm alive on this crazy planet.  Some additional symptoms of Meniere's Disease are depression, anxiety and fear.

I don't have these.  What a blessing!


***