Sunday, August 13, 2017

Elvis Died 40 Years Ago

Elvis Presley died in August of 1977.  Time Magazine did a big spread on Elvis this week and I was reminded, again, of what a phenomena he was.   But his life was, in many ways, an American tragedy.

His first record was cut in 1954 when I was a sophomore in high school so we were contemporaries.  I always loved his music (and still do) but I never understood the rest of it. Here are a few facts from the article.



  • In the 1960s, none other than Leonard Bernstein called Elvis "the greatest cultural force in the 20th century. "
  • He is thought to be the most commercially successful solo musical artist of all time. 
  • In 2016 he was the fourth top-earning dead celebrity in America.  Right behind his short time son-in-law, Michael Jackson. 
  • Graceland is still among the most -visited private homes in the nation along with the White House.
  • His performances were a combination of highly sexual and highly religious - and it worked. 
  • Somewhere along the way his life began to unravel right before our eyes and we watched him slowly disappear. 


But my fascination isn't with Elvis himself, but with the cult-like following he had - and 40 years after his death - still has.  He's been likened to Jesus.

Several months ago when I read,  J. D. Vance's book, "Hillbilly Elegy," I was reminded of the Elvis phenomena and how there are millions of folks in America that I just don't understand.  But here's the thing:  I want to understand them.  Many of them I care for and respect and some I love.

Next week in Forum we will be discussing "Hillbilly Elegy."  I'm hoping to get some insight.


***