Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Dress for Success

My soul is exposed without a tie and, preferably, a suit.  - Llewellyn King, host of "White House Chronicle" on PBS.

This guy would fit right in
at my church. 
How do you know what to wear these days?  Mr. Llewellyn is right to lament the demise of the tie.  They're still right for some business occasions but sport coat and open dress shirt usually rule the day.

Dressing up, apparently, is something most people no longer like to do, especially men.  I, myself, on the day I retired declared I would never wear a dress again.  I was married in 2009 in a big fancy church wearing black slacks.

This guy would fit right in a my church.
Are there any rules? Yes, if they are clear cut and written down.  Otherwise, anything goes.  In my big church in well to do Winter Park, Florida - pretty much anything goes.  It used to bother me to see our young acolytes, in their white and red robes not quite covering their flip flops.  But no more.  Dave is one of about a third of the men who wear khakis, dress shirt and sport coat.  A few weeks ago he gave away his dress suit (the one he was married in) but not before he purchased a new one - which he's never worn.

Mr. Llewellyn wonders what God must think.

My hope is that God has way more important things on God's mind.

I also don't agree with Mr. Llewellyn that Hollywood is at fault.  But I do believe that some fashion designer somewhere is deciding right now what we will be wearing in the year 2020.

And we have no control over it.


***