Sunday, June 11, 2017

Resignation

So, the vertigo continues, off and on.  But I've heard from so many friends and acquaintances and, amazingly, have been given some good practical advice.  First instance, my friend, Julia, told me to close my eyes when it starts and not to open them until the spinning is over.  Wow, this is hard to do when the spinning lasts for several hours at a time - but it works.  The nausea is much less with eyes shut.

So, instead of beating my fists and tearing my clothes I'm resigning myself to my "new normal."

As you know, I used to write poetry.  Following is a poem I wrote in 1974.  My friend, who was in his 40s, had a second heart attack.  He was angry, scared, and in denial about what lifestyle changes needed to be made.

Resignation

He had been given
Two tickets for the same offense
And the injustice of it all
Was overwhelming him. 

He was
Kicking
Screaming
Beating his fist
And,
Tearing his clothes.

Finally,
She said,
Why don't you
just
SHUT UP AND PAY THE FINE!

Sometimes,
When we are
Kicking,
Screaming,
Beating our fists
And
Tearing our clothes
At the injustice of it all
Should we
Maybe
Just 
SHUT UP AND PAY THE FINE?


***