Saturday, February 18, 2017

Harrison Ford and I Are Excellent Drivers

You've most likely read about 74 year old Harrison Ford mistakenly landing his small plane on an airport taxiway last week and asking the traffic controller:

Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?

This is a year or so after Mr. Ford was seriously injured in another plane he was piloting.  There is currently all sorts of speculation about whether or not he should continue flying.  From all reports Harrison Ford is, and has been, an excellent and careful pilot.

I am crazy about Harrison Ford, the actor.  While I'm not a Star Wars fan, I've seen about everything else he's done on the screen.  But I hope, besides the investigation, he's giving his situation some thought.

I, myself, recently had a fender-bender.  Prior to this I had a sterling driving record.  Full disclosure; I did have a ticket in the 1960s.

So what's the problem?  The problem is, like Harrison,  I don't know exactly what happened.

Was that beautiful black Volkswagen Luxury supposed to be in my lane?

Of course, the other driver told me it was my fault.  But, rather than being belligerent, he was kind.  And, by the way, turned out to be a Presbyterian minister.  So there is probably good reason to believe him.

I've been doing some soul-searching about my driving.  Am I not paying enough attention?   Am I doing all of the things I taught my four children to do?

By the way, I told them the same things in my driving lectures that I told them in my sex education lectures:  You now have the power of life and death.  Be careful.

Harrison Ford and I are at the age where we need to be careful.   I'm proud to say I've been accident free for four weeks.


***