Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Vertigo

Several weeks ago I spent the day in the ER because I suspected I might be having a stroke.  Turns out it was vertigo.  What a relief.  It was over in a day or two.

Then, a couple of weeks later it was back.  And it's still here.  My kind of vertigo, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) is caused by calcium crystals in the inner ear.  I never heard of it.  But the doc explained that it's very common and not serious.  The treatment is to do daily exercises where you fling your head around and stare at the ceiling.  Sounds like fun, right?

Not so much if the room is already flying around in circles.   And then there's the nausea and vomiting.  And here's an interest thing.  It comes on instantaneously.

So it's not serious except if I drive my car into a tree (or worse.)  Or I fall down and crack my scull or break my hip.  Or if I'm meeting with you (as I was with my attorney yesterday) and have to bring a bath towel so I won't throw up on you.

But I'm sticking close to home and doing my Epley exercises religiously.  And, come to find out, the doc was right.  Everybody has a gory vertigo story.  I've heard three today.  The Sears repair man told me about his friend who visited his parents after a long estrangement and threw up at the dinner table.   A neighbor told me that her relative was in a wheelchair for a year.  Another neighbor told me her friend had to lie in bed for a month.

On the bright side, I've lost 6 pounds.  Should be fun putting it back on when my BPPV is over.


***