Sunday, June 5, 2016

Float Like a Butterfly Sting Like a Bee

1942-2016
People don't realize what they had till it's gone.  Like President Kennedy, there was no one like him, the Beatles and my man Elvis Presley.  I was the Elvis of boxing.  - Muhammad Ali

Dave and I were talking yesterday about how meaningful it was to actually live on the same planet at the same time with so many great people.  It's one thing (and a good thing) to read and understand history but it's another thing to remember the drama and high feeling level of having lived it.

It would be hard to describe how wildly popular Muhammad Ali was.  Especially since I cared nothing at all about boxing.

The first time he really got my attention was when he spoke out about the war in Vietnam.  Then he backed up his convictions by refusing to serve in the Army.  He paid dearly for this stance - but he was committed.

Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?  - Muhammad Ali

In my mind, Ali more than made up for this refusal in the way he led his long, difficult life.  Bragging was part of his fantastic sense of humor but he was a peace loving man who tried to do good.

I've made my share of mistakes along the way, but if I have changed even one life for the better, I haven't lived in vain. - Muhammad Ali

In the 1960s Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali.  It was big news.  I had very little understanding of the Muslim faith at that time.  While it's still a bit of a mystery to me I try hard to understand and respect what I can of this faith that enfolds 1.5 billion people.

It's just a coincidence that in Forum this morning we had a professor from Rollins College come speak to us about the history of the Islam.  By the way, this young professor's targeted area of expertise is 6th century Christianity.  So he did not mention Muhammad Ali.  But, of course, I was thinking about him as the professor spoke.

The word "Islam" means "peace."  The word "Muslim" means "one who surrenders to God."  But the press makes us seem like haters.  - Muhammad Ali





***