Sunday, March 27, 2016

It's Easter! Let's Dance!

I danced in the morning when the world was young
I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun.
I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth.

As you know, Forum is a class that's been meeting in my church for several decades.  It's grown from a handfull of egg heads to a big group of super smart folks who like to sit on chairs and share ideas.

This morning we had our annual Easter Brunch.  I think there were around 60 of us.  Two long tables were laden with gorgeous food.  

On Easter, instead of heavy conversation, we have a light devotion.  Maybe ten minutes.

My friend and fellow Power Ranger agreed to do this devotion.  What would she do?  She certainly knows personally the concept of "It is finished."  (No, wait.)  "He is risen."

I danced on a Friday when the world turned black
It's hard to dance with the devil on your back
They buried my body, they thought I was gone
But I am the dance, and the dance goes on. 

Here's what she did.  She started with a celebrating Shel Silverstein poem, then morphed into serious words from Jan Richardson.

Then, then, to the tune of our resident group of ukulele players in the background she lead us in singing Lord of the Dance.  This is a modern hymn, written in 1963 by Sydney Carter that depicts, in Jesus' own voice, his dancing through it all.

And then, then she had us all up, holding hands and dancing,  a conga line of super smart, usually in control, usually reserved, seniors, snaking around in the crowded room, singing and laughing.

Dance, dance, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance, said he
And I lead you all, wherever you may be 
And I lead you all in the dance, said he 

He is risen, indeed!


***