Friday, February 5, 2016

Lent

Can you believe that Easter is only six weeks away?  Lent begins this coming Wednesday.  This is the 40 days prior to Easter when some of us Christians try to be a little more introspective and get in touch with our spiritual selves.

Traditionally, this has involved fasting.  But I don't think some of us have any idea what this really means.  How many times have you heard somebody say "I need to lose a few pounds so I'm giving up (fill in the blank) for Lent?

That's not how it works.

I read part of Pope Frances' speech to the new Cardinals today.  In it he talks about fasting from indifference and feasting on love....and no one is excluded (in this feast.)

On March 2nd, I'll start leading a four week Lenten discussion on Wednesdays at noon at my church, First United Methodist Church of Winter Park, Florida.  A couple of months ago I started looking for the right book.  I read several.  One, Between the Dark and the Daylight, appealed to me - but I didn't know if others could get into it.  I was stumped.

Then I remembered an older book that my friend Art had introduced me to:  I went back and re-read it.  It's perfect.  It's real and hits you right between the eyes.

Written by Peter Scazzero, it deals with all the crazy stuff we mistakenly think God wants us to do.  Just because your parents or your favorite politician told you to do it doesn't mean it's right with God.

Early on in the book Scazzero says we're "dying to" the wrong things.  Let's  say it another way.  For Lent we should be giving up things like... defensiveness, detachment from others, arrogance, stubbornness, hypocrisy, Judgmentalism, a lack of vulnerability.

Scazzero goes on to say...God never asked us to die for (give up) the good parts of who we are...the healthy desires and pleasures of life - to friendships, joy, art music, beauty, recreation, laughter, and nature.  And chocolate.

(I added that last one.)

 ***