Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Other Planets

As you know, I'm generally overwhelmed with anything having to do with astronomy.  But, on the other hand, I get excited about what's out there and what it might tell us about ourselves and about our creator.  This photo is of space based telescopes.  Cool.

I get my facts about a lot of things from the science page in the comic section of the Sunday paper called "Just for Kids."   Sunday it was about exoplanets.

Exoplanets are planets that orbit a star in another solar system.  Cool.

The first exoplanet was discovered in 1992.  That's not very long ago.  By the way, the article says that looking for a planet orbiting a distant star is like looking for a mosquito circling a car headlight when both are more than 2,500 miles away.  And in order for a planet to be confirmed, scientists must be at least 99.9999% sure that their calculations are accurate.

One more fact:  The first Earth-sized exoplanet was discovered in 2011.  These recent discoveries are very exciting to me because who knows what more astounding things will be discovered in my lifetime.

You're aware than I'm constantly expanding my concept of God and the universe.  I hope you are as well.  But if this is all too much for you, I'll leave you with a little 3rd grade science joke.

Why did the star abandon the planet?

It needed to get it out of his system.  


***