Friday, January 25, 2013

Football is Dangerous

By now, everybody's enjoyed their favorite bowl game.  As you know, I have a problem with football.  Fortunately for football, nobody cares.  I'm concerned about my young grandsons playing, I'm concerned about college players and I'm concerned about the pros.

It's a violent sport.

My husband, Ken, played football in high school and college.  I will admit it made him a better person.  But then, when he was in his fifties and needed abdominal surgery, there were big problems due to the massive amount of scar tissue in his belly.

It's a violent sport.  But nobody wants to hear about it.

Then the "Shouts & Murmurs" column in the January 7th issue of "The New Yorker" confirmed my feelings.   Jay Martel did a really funny parody of the top bowl games.  Below I've shared just one of them because he's teasing a team I like.  (Even though I have a problem with football!)

The...Catheter Cotton Bowl

    This may be the marquee bowl game, with the undefeated Texas State College of the Pacific Homicidal Maniacs setting their sights on the No. 1- ranked Tallahassee University Khmer Rouge.

 These two college programs consistently rise to the top of every major statistical category, including early-onset Alzheimer's, so expect a real donnybrook. 

The media-day disclosure that every player on the Maniacs, except for the placekicker, sustained a concussion last week - even though no game was scheduled - sharply raised the level of anticipation for this clash.  Look for the placekicker to get a concussion. 


***