Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Passion for Work

Back in the 70s when I was first doing consulting work and the "Should Women Work Outside the Home?" issue was raging, I was occasionally asked the question:

Do you think all women should work?

My answer was always the same:

Yes!

I think everybody should work.  From toddlers to hospice patients.  Why?  It's fulfilling.  It makes us know that we're on this earth for a reason.  But my definition of "work" differs from some others.

A toddler who picks up five of his toys or delivers to mom a package of diaper wipes for changing the new baby (he's not sure about)  has done a job.  A job that makes him feel empowered.

When an old woman in the hospital asks every person who visits, professional or friend, "How are you doing today"- and listens to the answer, she has worked.  She's done her job.

I've been reading about the army of volunteers at the Olympics.  Many of them have taken time off work, traveled at their own expense to London, and most days are rain soaked and sleep deprived.  Why do they do it?  It's fulfilling.  It gives them great meaning to be involved in something bigger than themselves.

Getting paid for the work we do is necessary to survive.  But it's not necessary to fulfill a passion for work.  In fact, many folks find more meaning in their avocations than their vocations.

I am surrounded by friends who do magnificent work.  They inspire me daily.

But I'll share this cameo of a couple who have been  only on the periphery of my life for the past 30 plus years.  I don't know them well but I, along with hundreds of others, know lots about them. The photo is from the cover of Central Florida's 50 Plus Lifestyle Guide, "50 Plus FYI."

Thad and Polly Seymour came to Winter Park Florida in 1978.  Thad had been president of Wabash College in Indiana before coming to Winter Park to be president of Rollins College.  Both highly credentialed and with highly credentialed children and grandchildren, they certainly deserve a rest. They've been "retired" for a very long time.

But what's most noteworthy about the Seymours is their life long volunteer work.  They're both legends in Central Florida for it.  In 1997 they were honored as Winter Park Citizens of the Year in recognition of the service to the community.

I don't know how old they are but they were married in 1948 so they have to be OLD.  But they're still at it.

The passion is still there.  They inspire me.


***