Saturday, August 11, 2012

My Friend John Mica

Some Saturday mornings I have breakfast with John Mica. Well, not with him exactly, but in the same room.  He regularly has breakfast in Panera's with his lovely wife, Pat.

As you know, I'm proud of the Winter Park folks who let celebrities "just  be" in public.  But this morning John Mica made a point of talkin' with the folks.

Because, for the first time in as long as I can remember, Mica's in trouble.

I've been following John Mica's career for over 30 years.   He's a much admired congressman from Winter Park, Florida.

He's been a hard working member of congress and has been able to get tons of things done over the years.  Unfortunately, some of what he's done I haven't admired.  We're not in the same party so have some different views.  But, for many of his accomplishments,  I'm very grateful.

In fact, for much of what he's accomplished, he's had to work across party lines.  I think this is essential for all of our elected folks in Washington.

But, Mica's fighting for his seat.  Due to once in a decade redistricting, he's locked in a fight with freshman Sandy Adams.

I know he's guilty of doing one of the things she's charging against him:  Working with Democrats.

He is a rank-and-file, "let's compromise where we can and make this happen"  kind of guy.  She is a Tea Party gal.

Here's a photo, taken many years ago, of John Mica working with a Democrat.


***