Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Favorite Restaurant

You already know how I love McDonald's.  So what a cool experience last week to sit on a plane next to a man who works for McDonald's.  OK, I know that almost everybody in the country has worked at McDonald's at one time or another, but this man had been an exec - and now does consulting work for them all over the world.  And he's darn proud of his company - as well he should be.

We talked about consistency, safety (when have you ever heard of anybody getting sick eating at McDonald's?) and decor.  And, yes, after we talked a while I was able to express my disappointment with the Asian Chicken Salad going away.  Good news - It'll be back. 

They must just like to tease us with it, like the McRib.

Following are some fun facts about McDonald's.

The first McDonald's drive thru opened in 1975 on an Arizona military base to serve soldiers who weren't permitted to get out of their cars while wearing fatigues.

McDonald's is the leading foodsource retailer on the planet.

Ronald McDonald speaks 31 languages.

My sister in law's dad was the only person I know who didn't like Ronald McDonald.  Many years ago he was a local Popeye impersonator in Indianapolis and he was jealous of Ronald because he got all the good gigs in children's hospitals. 

The highest McDonald's is located in Kuala Lumpur Tower in Indonesia.  This is where Dave was born.  Not in the tower but in the city.

The golden arches are the most recognized symbol in the world.

There are 179 McDonald restaurants in India.

While I was in Denver and was sharing my love of McDonald's with a very sophisticated friend, she surprised me by saying she felt the same way.  She's been all over the world and said she's eaten breakfast and/or lunch at a McDonald's in every country she visited.  She added, "I'd eat dinner there as well if they served alcohol."

***