Thursday, February 4, 2010

Writing Styles

I have a pretty short and to the point writing style. I like a brevity of words. When I used to do some editing they called me "The Slasher."

Ed Hayes writes a column in the Orlando Sentinel every Thursday. It's called Heydays and it covers just about everything that's ever happened in his life.

And that's a lot.

Because Ed Hayes is 85 years old. He's a former sportswriter and they're, traditionally, the most colorful news people.

His writing style is what I would call "flowery." But in a good way. The man knows his way around an adjective. Sometimes the columns just kind of meander down his life's path but I find them completely enjoyable.

Today the column was serious. Following is a fine example of his writing style.

Haiti went down for the count, and the heroes stormed out of the woodwork.

Please don't retire, Ed Hayes, because there's nobody around to replace you.


***