Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dueling Directors

We've seen a number of movies lately. Finally saw Avatar. Then, two days later, saw The Hurt Locker.

What do these two movies have in common? Almost nothing.


Avatar is a fable in 3-D that has become the highest grossing movie of all time. It also costs more to make than any other movie.

The Hurt Locker is a small, low budget movie (looks like a documentary) about our guys in Iran disabling bombs.


A few weeks ago I read that The Hurt Locker had made the same amount money, in total - that Avatar had made that week - in Italy.


But they have two things in common: The directors, James Cameron and Kathryn Bigelow were once married and both movies and directors are up for an Academy Award.

I liked both films. But I think, if I had a vote, it would be for The Hurt Locker. It's gritty real life stuff that's happening now and needs to be addressed. And, yes, I'm probably a bit prejudiced for the woman.


***