Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Why Not Go Gentle?

 

Dylan Thomas was a Welsh poet and writer.  Born in Uplands, United Kingdom in 1914, he's currently experiencing new fame by being referenced in Taylor Swift's current tour, "The Tortured Poets Department."  

His most famous poem was: 

Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night.  

Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 

I think it's sad that many old, sick people feel this way and it's even sadder that young Thomas felt this way.   Old age can be joyful if we let it.  No raging needed. 

Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words have forked no lightening they Do no go gentle into that good night. 

Thomas uses light as a symbol for life, but not death.  Even though he knows the unstoppable nature of death, he still suggests that we fight to the end.  

My husband, Ken, kind of did this.  Even though he was a strong believer in the afterlife, he raged and suffered more than necessary.  In his last years, when he had some dementia, he often used the phrase from his high school and college football career, "Put me in the game, Coach," whenever his doctors wanted to try one more thing. 

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright,  Their frail deeds might have drank in a green bay,  Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 

I'm 85 and, even though I have health issues, I don't rage - don't care to rage.  My life is full.  Why would I make myself and everyone around me miserable by raging?  It makes no sense. I want to be gentle. 

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,  Do not go gentle into that good night. 

Thomas references good men, wild men, and grave men.  I think he's talking about people in various stages of life.  Thomas was grieving the death of his father.  But Thomas would live only another two years and die at age 39, apparently from alcoholism.  He did not feel good about the life he'd led. 

I've led a hard life but, now that I am old, the fruits of that life are flowing all around me.  No need to rage.  

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight  Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,  Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 

I have had the honor of being with several people who were in the final stages of life.  I don't remember one of them raging.  In fact, it seems to me that most of them were content.  And that includes my husband, Ken at the end.  As you know, I follow Hospice Nurse Julie (who has a book coming out in June.)  She has chronicled many, many deaths.  The vast majority have been beautiful. 

And you, my father, there on the sad height,  Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.  Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 

Thomas suggests we rage because we live empty lives.  If that be true, many of us still have time to turn that around if we really want to.  And this is what I believe:  The real "light," according to Hospice Nurse Julie and the vast majority of other people I know, is on the other side.

***