Monday, November 6, 2023

Gated Communities

 

Shortly after moving to my condo an old friend said to me, "You are the last person in the world I thought would live in a gated community."  I accepted this as a compliment because of the life I've tried to live and it also made me feel guilty for a time. 

But I got over it.  I'm now vulnerable so I don't resent the cameras all over this place and I like the gate.  I'm sure it's more of a psychological help than anything else but I'm grateful that I feel safe, especially since I'm aging in place.  

The gate is not so much about nefarious folks getting in as it is about them getting out (with our stuff.)  Our "out" gate swings inward so a vehicle must pull up to the proper spot that triggers the gate.  And it takes about ten seconds for it to fully open.    

But, some people don't have that kind of time.  For as long as I've lived here, the gate has been routinely run into and is very often in need of repair.   Big trucks, like moving vans, and regular vehicles have broken the gate numerous times.  

My friend, Christie, also lives in a gated condo community.  Her exit gate slides straight to the right.  Easy, peasy.  But it also has this big, scary sign that makes me laugh every time I drive through it. 

Maybe we need a sign like this. 


***