Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Home

 

Marni Jameson is a nationally syndicated columnist, author, and speaker.  She's an expert on lifestyle and all things "home." I have enjoyed her weekly columns in the Orlando Sentinel since they started.  I'm not always interested in her subject of the day, but I love the way she writes.  She shares herself so, over the years, I've learned much about her; and I love that she lives in Winter Park, so she's practically my neighbor.  

This past Saturday she told us she's been traveling for a while and was happy to be back home.  And then she listed 21 reasons why.  Following are a few with which I can totally relate.  

1.  I like drying the dishes and and putting them away because I know where they go.

Me too!  I don't use my dishwasher.  I love warm soapy water and, after I've put the dishes away, I enjoy wiping down the stove and counter tops. 

4.  I like making the bed and turning it down; it feels like putting a pair of bookends or parentheses around the day.

So, Marni, Admiral H. William H. McRaven, who wrote the New York Times best seller, "Make Your Bed," and I agree on this one.  

6.  I like being in control of my thermostat.

At night, I like mine a 67 degrees.  

9.  I like knowing where everything is and that it is all within reach because it makes me feel like the master of my domain.

Unlike the "Seinfeld" episode, mastering my domain means I have everything I need handy.  I keep socks, hand lotion and my evening devotional under my pillow. 

12.  I like getting the morning newspaper (Yes, I still get a print paper) every day.  I find this reliable, tangible and connection to the world somehow comforting. 

Yes, I'm with Marni.  I've tried to wean myself off this extremely expensive habit, but nothing else works, not even the e Edition.  

16.  I like being around my art and objects because they stir memories and reflect my life.

Me too Marnie.  I'm kind of a minimalist but everything in my home is precious to me.  If and when it no longer is, I give it the heave ho.  I visited my neighbor's home earlier today.  It's lovely and she, too, has only objects that stir memories and give her joy. 

20.  I like cooking, whether whisking an egg, chopping a tomato, or adding spice to a simmering sauce because I like to know what is in my food. 

 I'm on a very low sodium diet and due to that. and a super sensitivity to closed in spaces with lots of people, I prepare my own meals.  I like preparing "clean" and tasty (to me) dishes.  I also eat at odd times. Why?  Because I can.

  As Marnie says, It's an ordinary life, which is what makes it extraordinary. 

****