Sunday, June 18, 2023

Home Remedies



I talked with a man in the church parking lot this morning who'd just read my book.  How exciting that this is still happening from time to time.  Anyway, we had a little discussion about home remedies.  He wasn't a fan.  I am.  Are you?
 
Do you have home remedies you swear by because they work?  One of the main themes running though my book, Florida, A Love Story, is "healing."  Our lead character, Cole,  reminds us that healing is not the same a curing.  Cole saved a man's life by cleaning him up from head to toe and sewing up his gaping wound with his wife's needle and thread.  

I love home remedies for several reasons.  I grew up with no medical care.  None.  We had to just figure it out.  The Bible advocates home remedies.  John Wesley, advocated home remedies.  Some of them are referenced in my book. 

Even in this time of almost daily breakthroughs in science and medicine, home remedies are sometimes the better way to go.  During COVID, prior to the vaccine, people all over the world were saved from horrible deaths by wearing a mask and washing their hands.  

I subscribe to a group called "The People's Pharmacy."  It's all about home remedies.  One of the most popular is putting a bar of soap in your bed to cure leg cramps.  Sounds weird.  I don't understand it but it works.  Another one of their most popular remedies is eating nine raisins soaked in gin to relieve arthritus pain.  I've never tried this because I don't have arthritis.  But if I did, I would.  

I do suffer from fairly severe attacks of nausea.  My doctor gave me a strong medication to relieve it but I just couldn't tolerate it.  I now have the nausea pretty much under control by drinking massive amounts of ginger tea and wearing anti nausea wrist bands.   

In the book we address the Civil War and the horrendous suffering and death, much of which could have been avoided by washing hands.  

Yes, I do go to the doctor and I do take my prescriptions but I also sleep with a bar of soap.

***