Sunday, January 22, 2023

The Intellectual Devotional

 

Many years ago, prior to Google (the source of all knowledge,) I was given a copy of this book.  Let me begin by saying it's not a devotional.  It's a book on the seven fields of knowledge,  History, Literature, Visual Arts, Science, Music. Philosophy, and Religion. 

In other words, hard stuff.  But here's the fun part - each "devotional" is one page long.  So, if you want to learn a little bit - but not too much - about anything - here it is.

I watch an episode of  "Young Sheldon" every night to help calm me down before bed time.  Recently the science brainiac kid Sheldon is driven into a state of depression by a class on philosophy.  As you know, science is driven by facts.  

Skepticism is any set of philosophical arguments intended to undermine our belief in some alleged body of knowledge. It doesn't answer questions.  It only asks them. How do you know your experiences are real?  How do you know that other people have thoughts, feelings, and experiences?

I am a person who needs some daily intellectual stimulation, but not too much. So I'm back to reading my Intellectual Devotional.  

If I don't have much interest in a particular subject in one of these seven fields of knowledge, no problem.  It's only one page long.   The next page is on the Italian Renaissance.

***