Wednesday, September 14, 2022

I Wish I'd Written This Book

 

Vanessa Echols was a well loved and respected television newscaster for Channel 9 here in Central Florida for 30 years, prior to her recent retirement.  

I've just finished reading her book, We're in Heaven, and I Have Some Questions. Have you ever been in Bible studies where no questions were asked, where you were required to accept someone else's interputation of The Word?  "No questions allowed."

It's clear from the beginning that Vanessa is a strong believer but she uses her own cultural colloquialisms to tell the stories.  The book is very funny and entertaining.

Vanessa Echos
Vanessa has profiled 41 characters in the Bible.  They are presented alphabetically. (Since I'm a little OCD, I appreciate this.  Also, each chapter is no more than one or two pages long.  However, she leaves room for our own comments.  

Writers need structure and encouragement to let our words flow.  Vanessa Echols has provided this for me.  She begins by saying "If you don't have a sense of humor, don't read this book."

She asks David, when he was dancing before the Lord, if he was doing the Electric Slide.

There are many stories in the Bible - and in all of history - where folks experience a reversal of fortune.  Jacob in the Old Testament was a trickster.  But then he was tricked by his father-in-law, Laben.  In the book of Esther, the evil Hamon experiences this reversal of fortune. 

But Vanessa says it this way:  "The playa got played."  And she describes Esther  doing "a total boss move."


Thank you Vanessa Echols.  In a way I did write a little of your book but only because you invited me to do so.  

See Ya!

***