Thursday, June 16, 2022

Redemption

 

This summer  I've been rewatching some of my favorite movies.  My favorite genre is redemption films.  Perhaps my favorite redemption movie ever is "Life as a House."  It's not a religious film.  It's R rated. The house is a metaphor for all of the wounded characters.  Each one of them is a mess and, as the old ramshackle house is torn down and the new one is rebuilt, so are the lives of the people.  Each one receives healing, even the one who dies. 

When I was still working I used this powerful film as a discussion starter several times.  It tends to make folks react emotionally.  I'm not an emotional person.  I'm a left-brain, pragmatic, analytical robot. 

But when I watched the movie a few days ago, sitting all alone on my couch,  I experienced a big surprise.  Toward the end something strange happened.  I began to cry, to sob actually.  

A few years ago a friend told me this story.  In the year 2000, her daughter, who lived in Santa Monica, California, was helping to get a library started in her children's school.  They had no building and no books.  

She learned that the house that had been built for a movie there had recently been disassembled and stored.  She asked that it be donated for the library and reassembled at the school.  This was the house from "Life as a House".  Later that year the movie premiered in a little theater in Santa Monica.  The proceeds were donated to the library.  So that particular house isn't just a metaphor.  It will live on forever in the hearts and minds of the children who read the books they discover inside.

This, in its self, is both remarkable and healing.  

***


Check out my new book "Florida, A Love Story" on Amazon.