Tuesday, April 19, 2022

"That's Enough Boys"

 

Shecky Greene died last week at age 96.

Who was Shecky Greene?  Early on he was a stand up comic and was frequently Frank Sinatra's opening act.  

Many times, when I was invited to speak at a corporate event of some kind, it would be explained to me that I was to go on first to warm up the audience before the experts in the various fields would do the serious stuff.  

As a way to let that person know that I understood exactly what they wanted from me I would respond by saying.  "Yes, I get it.  You want me to be Shecky Greene to (your company's) Frank Sinatra."  They almost always laughed and said, yes, that's what we want.  Because 40 or 50 years ago, most people knew the reference.  

Most people also knew that Greene and Sinatra had a continuous relationship and how they both hung out with thugs.  And Sinatra was famous for having thugs for body guards.   Sometime, during these decades from long ago, I heard a story about how Frank Sinatra saved Shecky Greene's life in a back alley one night in Miami Beach......by saying "that's enough boys!"

I thought it was hysterically funny and shared this story in my own "stand up" several times.  Most times it went over but, as time passed, much of the the audience didn't get the reference.  

It was an intriging story about Frank Sinatra, who was a genuine movie star in the golden era of Hollywood, and one of the finest singers of his era; but also liked to have his bodyguards beat people up on a regular basis.  

While I loved sharing it, I never knew if this particular story was true.  That is until last week when I read the following words of  Shecky Greene in his obituary. 

Frank Sinatra?  Heck of a guy - real prince.  Saved my life once.  We were doing a show at the Sands, and between sets, I took a break in the parking lot.  Next thing I know three guys are working me over real good.  Then I hear Frank say, "OK, boys, that's enough."


***