Saturday, September 11, 2021

Farewell to Jeanne Robertson

 

Jeanne Robertson passed away recently.  She was one of the most popular speakers in America and will be sorerly missed.  No one will take her place, she was unique.  

 In a time when men totally dominated the public speaking field, she was a success right from the beginning. 

Early on, when she was a student at Auburn University, Jeanne entered a beauty pageant and ended up being Miss North Carolina.  What separated her from the pac early on was, in addition to being beautiful, she was 6 feet, 2 inches tall.  And she made it work for her.  Within that first year she gave 500 speeches. They were hilarious. 

As you know, I admire, and have learned a lot from, stand up comics.  Jeanne didn't call herself a comic.  She was a humorist.  In the 80s I was a member of the National Speakers Association.  At that time NSA was available only to paid professional speakers and they needed to provide documented proof of it.  It was a serious organization.  Jeanne not only qualified, but she eventually became president of this prodigious group. 

So Jeanne and I crossed paths a few times.  I was always in awe.  She knew who she was.  She was extremely hard working and traveled constantly.  She had a strict moral code about what she would and would not do.  This helped me shape my our moral code.  It wasn't the same as Jeanne's.  I had no interest in crisscrossing the country leaving my family and other priorities.  

But I was a speaker.  And I knew that, in order be heard, I had to be entertaining and disciplined and that meant continually finding better ways of communicating in an entertaining way.  I wasn't a beauty queen and I wasn't 6 feet, 2 inches tall.  But I was grounded, and hard working. 

Thank you Jeanne Robertson. 

***