Tuesday, July 27, 2021

The World's 100 Greatest Places

 

Botswana
My new Time magazine features its third annual list of the world's greatest places based, primarily, on their tribute to the people and businesses who, despite our world wide pandemic, found ways to flourish.  They range from Estonia to Antarctica. 

I've never heard of some of these places.  I'd like to see a few but it looks like my global adventures are over.  However I have friends on Facebook who continue to share their own adventures and I love going with them on my armchair ride.  

Portugal
A few years ago, when I was in Portugal, I would have loved to see, and even walk across, the world's longest suspension bridge in Arouca,  but it wasn't on our route.  I'll bet the folks in the photo here are bonding like crazy.  

Only a handful of places in the United States made the cut and most of them are surprising.  What's not surprising is that Orlando (my city) is listed. But that's because every most person in the world would like to visit the Mouse.  

Indianapolis
What was totally surprising is that my hometown, Indianapolis, more specifically, the Bottleworks District, is featured.  When I lived there in the 1950's the Coca-Cola bottling plant was a big deal.  The Bottleworks Hotel now resides in the building, complete with Art Deco design and restored spiral staircase.  My niece Sheri and sister-in-law, Sandy, live in Indianapolis.  Sandy's not well and I was actually thinking about her when I picked up the magazine and read the article - about Indianapolis.  How strange is that?

And that's what makes places so dear to us.  Being reminded of a personal connection. 

Estonia

And speaking of personal connections, a few years ago my husband David and I spent a fantastic day in Tallinn, Estonia.  It's a perfect example of preserving the old while creating the new.  Estonia is home to one of the world's leading digital economies but has retained its medieval city center. 

Almost every country in the world has a multitude of riches.  And chief among the riches are its people. 


***