Sunday, June 20, 2021

How Important Are People at the Top?

The overall health and functioning of any organization depend primarily on one or two people at the top...       Ed Friedman

The comic stripe Dilbert and the phenomenal TV series The Office, suggest that the people at the top are irrelevant.

So what's the real scoop?

In Bishop Ken Carter's book, God Will Make a Way, he quotes Ed Friedman, a family therapist, and a person the Bishop had studied with over an extended period of time. The entire quote is this:

The overall health and functioning of any organization depend primarily on one or two people at the top...this is true whether the relationship system is a personal family, a sports team, an orchestra,  a congregation, a religious hierarchy, or an entire nation.

Wow!  This is one powerful (and empowering) statement.  It's stuck with me for several days.   

Do you buy into this concept? If so,  it makes sense that the leader needs to be about continuous self examination and personal growth.  

What does all of this have to do with 82 year old me?  On one hand, I know I'm not "at the top" of anything.  On the other hand, surprisingly, I get reminded often that I'm still a significant influencer.  For one thing, I'm the matriarch of a large, multi-dimensional, somewhat powerful, hugely influential, some times dysfunctional, always complicated, family.  And I take that roll seriously.  

My denomination, The United Methodist Church, is currently going through some painful change.  While I'm not at the top of anything in the church these days, I know I am an influencer.  And I take that seriously as well.  

Sports teams, orchestras, and nation building are not in my wheelhouse, but for other systems, I'm still in the game - and I take that very seriously.


***