Sunday, March 21, 2021

Returning Home

 

After watching church from my couch this Sunday morning, I was feeling inspired, once more, by the message and the music.   But somehow wanting more, I watched one of my favorite movies O Brother, Where Art Thou?

This is probably my third time to see it in the 20 years it's been out.  Produced and directed by the great Coen brothers, Ethan and Joel, this film is their take on the epic poem, Homer's The Odyssey.  

I wish I could tell you I've read Homer's version but, even though I gave it a few tries and failed, I have read enough cliff notes to get the drift.

Homer's Odysseus and the Coen Brothers' Ulysses Everett McGill (played by George Clooney) are trying to get "home," whatever that means to them - and whatever that means to us.  

Like this morning's worship service, the message and old timey music in O Brother... are outstanding.  

Homer, author of The Odyssey,  was said to be blind. The Odyssey's message is that life's journey is filled with obstacles.   In the early part of  O Brother,  words of wisdom come in the beginning of the film from a blind railroad worker: You seek a great fortune, you who are in chains.  You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.  

This, to me, is the entire message for all of us.  The movie portrays this in a totally entertaining,  sometimes happy, sometime, sad, sometimes terrifying, always funny, music filled story.  You know, sort of like mine - and possibly yours.  

I love every little adventure they encounter on their way, even the hard ones.  I love "the sirens" luring them into seduction.  I love the grace that comes from unexpected places.  I love that Clooney's character, who was a delightful, self centered con artist, in the end truly repents.

The critics were divided when this movie came out.  After reading several reviews my take on that is that many of them just didn't get it.  I hope you will watch it again, or for the first time, and see what you think.  You can find it on Amazon Prime.


***