Sunday, September 13, 2020

Powerful Words


Today I cleaned out some files and found poems I've not seen in decades.  Some were mine, some from others.  Many years ago I was inspired by writer/poet, Judith Viorst.  She's always been a bit shocking, raw and very funny.  This book, Necessary Losses, a New York Times bestseller from several decades back, explores the loves, illusions, dependencies and impossible expectation that all of us have to give up in order to grow.  

I love the poem printed below.  It's sweet and funny but a punch in the gut.

My Mom say I'm her sugarplum.
My mom says I'm her lamb,
My mom says I'm completely perfect,
Just the way I am.
My mom says I'm a super-special wonderful terrific little guy.
My mom just had another baby.
Why?

The following poem by Cynthia MacDonald, is harsh and shocking.   I honestly can't remember if it was included in Necessary Losses but it was from that same time decades ago when I was trying to help women who were struggling with identity and overcoming our need to please.  I remember that I seldom used the poem because I knew it invoked reactions in some folks that I was not qualified to handle.  You've heard of "Shock Jocks."  MacDonald was a shock poet.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS  by Cynthia MacDonald

I painted a picture-green sky - and showed it to my mother
She said that is nice, I guess.
So I painted another holding the paint brush in my teeth,
Look Ma, no hands, and she said
I guess someone would admire that if they knew
How you did it and they were interested in painting which
I am not.  

I played clarinet solo in Gounod's Clarinet Concerto
With the Buffalo Philharmonic, 
Mother came to listen and said 
That's nice, I guess.
So I played it with the Boston Symphony,
Lying on my back and using my toes,
Look, Ma, no hands.  And she said
I guess someone would admire that if they knew
How you did it and they were interested in music which I am not.

I made an almond souffle and served it to my mother.
She said, that's nice, I guess.
So I made another, beating it with my breath,
Serving it on my elbows,
Look Ma, no hands.  And she said
I guess someone would admire that if they knew
How you did it and they were interested in eating which
I am not. 

So I sterilized my wrists, performed the amputation, threw away
My hand and went to my mother, but before I could say
Look Ma, no hands, she said,
I have a present for you and insisted I try on
The blue kid gloves to make sure they were the right size.


***

P.S.  Thanks to all of you who've purchased my book New Day Updated and Revised.  I've loved hearing from so many of you.   It's available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.