Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Game of Life

Zero-sum is a situation in game theory in which one person's gain is equivalent to another's loss.  A zero-sum game may have as few as two players or as many as millions of participants. 



When my kids (especially my boys) were young we spent much of the summer playing board games.  Life, Risk and Monopoly were favorites.  I thought it was good for them.  It required strategic thinking, ambition and patience.  These games can take hours or days to complete.

Over the years I've changed my mind.  If you read this blog regularly you know I've become sort of incensed with Monopoly. And their newer concept Ms. Monopoly drove me over the edge.  And now they've come up with the cheaters version.

(As a side note, you regular readers also know that I've always had issues with Barbie.)

Since the beginning of time we humans have been filled with fear and a need to gain control.  And now we're feeling this way 24-7, and for good reason. Last Sunday my minister, David Miller, preached on the theme:  Life With God.  He talked about board games and especially "The Game of Life" where only the winner retires in Millionaire Estates.

Using the Prodigal Son scripture he painted the picture of how the older son was steaming mad because he did all the right stuff while the younger kid messed up big time but was still welcomed with open arms.  Nothing "Zero-sum" about this story.

You know one of my favorite things to contemplate is the nature of God.  David dealt directly with this by giving us some examples like how we develop principles and formulas, and deal making (I'll do all of these good things and God will bless me, right?")and my very least favorite of all "Prosperity Theology."

We continue to be confused about the difference between being and doing, between having it all and sharing.  But, for me, I know that Life, Risk, or Monopoly or Thunderball type thinking will not help me rack up points and is not my ticket to being the winner.

So, what is the point?  It's all about relationships.  I'm afraid of many things right now and I've always had a need to be in control.  But the nature of God is mysterious.  I know there are things I'll never figure out in this life.

But, at my best, whenever I'm in pain, exhausted and scared, I know God is with me.  Always has been and always will be.  And I'm very much aware that we're all in this life together.


***