Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The Gift of Years

It's New Year's Day.  I'm cleaning out a desk drawer.  Pretty typical New Year's Day activity.

In the drawer I have run across six quotes from one of my very favorite books, The Gift of Years by Joan Chittister.  I love her writing and this is, by far, my favorite Chittister book.  Today, reading these quotes helped me re-evaluate my life a bit.  And, that too, is a typical New Year's Day activity.

 1.  Most of us inch our way through life, sure on one hand that it will never end, certain on the other that it will surely be ending soon.

I love numbers and charts and such so I'm well aware of the implications of the 80th birthday that I just celebrated.  It was grand in every way thanks to my kids who knocked themselves out to make it special, my friends, and, of course, Dave, who makes everything special.  So I no longer think it will never end.  It will end.  Every day is precious.

 2.  We live in a world that judges its achievements by speed and busyness.

True, but my life is neither speedy nor busy.

3.  What am I when I am not what I used to DO?

Good question.  In my work I needed to be on my A game at all times.  But most of all I loved being a mom.  I poured myself into it and if I had it to do over again I would pour even more of myself into it.  But that job, and the others, are over.  (This doesn't mean that my middle aged kids don't make me happy and/or sad and/or terrified on a daily basis.)  I just know I have no overt control over their lives.)  I like no longer auditioning for rolls.  The answer to question three is: I am me.

 4.  "...Spiritual dimensions commonly increase.

This is certainly true for me.  "It is Well With My Soul."  Most of the time.

 5.  Age comes only to the truly blessed. 

You know the old saying...."Considering the alternative..."  but I experience genuine blessings every day, along with some burdens that come with age.

 6.  The gift of these years is not merely being alive...it is the gift of becoming more fully alive than ever.

Yes, in the year, 2019, when I am 80 years old, I feel even more alive and attuned to others.  I have time to spend where it's truly needed.  That's because I'm no longer speedy and busy.


***