Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Creed

A formal statement of Christian beliefs especially the Apostle's Creed and the Nicene Creed. 

Over the years I've studied the creeds and I understand why they were necessary because early Christians were continually veering off into other traditions.  So, since around 390 A.D., we've had the Apostle's Creed - the gold standard of creeds.  The name implies that the Apostles wrote it down but since it came about centuries later I'm not sure.

Last Sunday our minister preached on The Apostle's Creed and finished by inviting us to write our own creed.  I decided not to do that because I always get myself into trouble when I do.

It's not that I don't take the creeds seriously, the problem is I take them very seriously. So I'm attempting to, once again, rewrite the Apostle's Creed.  Not for everyone.  Just for me.

It's not going well.  Here's what I have so far.

I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH.

Yes, I believe in the God who created the whole shebang but I'm hung up on the word "Father."  To me it connotes the concept of the Old Testament Patriarchal system where the father of the family controlled everybody and everything.  Why?  Because he could.  It was set up that way.  And I don't even want to get into the "Father" concept as it's currently relating to church.

My rewrite:  I believe in God who is the creator of the universe and all living beings.

I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD
WHO WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT AND BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY.

I believe that God sent Jesus Christ who was God and is God  (and who was born in unusual circumstance which I do not fully understand) to earth to show us who God is and who we are. 

HE SUFFERED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE, WAS CRUCIFIED, DIED AND WAS BURIED;

Jesus' life and teachings were revolutionary.  He suffered, was crucified, died, and was buried. 

HE DESCENDED INTO HELL

I've never understood that part.

THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD.  HE ASCENDED TO HEAVEN AND IS SEATING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, FROM THERE HE WILL COME TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD.

The third day he rose from the dead.  After a period of time in which he continued his revolutionary, counter culture teachings, he ascended to heaven and is with God and is God.  He loves the living and the dead.

I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, THE HOLY CATHOLIC* CHURCH, THE COMMUNION OF SAINTS, THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, THE RESURRECTION OF THE BODY AND THE LIFE EVERLASTING. AMEN.

I have issues with the holy catholic church (big C and little c) because the church is made up of humans and we humans continually make messes.  After decades of study I still do not know what "the communion of saints" and "the resurrection of the body" mean.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, which empowers me to live my best life when I allow it.  I believe in the forgiveness of sins and life everlasting.  Amen.