Friday, November 11, 2016

Evolution and Diversity

Another "Thinking Person's" Cartoon
from the New Yorker
 I am currently reading Richard Rohr's new book, "Divine Dance."  No, it's not about hip-hop or jitter-bug.  It's about our triune God.  Father Rohr draws from scripture, theology, mystics, philosophers and sages throughout history.

For me, it's a struggle to read.  So I'm taking it slow - reading three or four pages and day and trying to grasp just that meaning.

We like control:  God, it seems, loves vulnerability.

The other day I was with a person I love.  But some folks think he's a bit controlling.  We were talking about a another person with problems whom we both love and he said, "Five years ago I would have told him exactly what to do.  But now I don't know."

Wow!  I was amazed with his vulnerability in telling me this.  And the older I get the more I realize I don't have all the answers - and never did.

God endlessly creates and allows diversity.  All you need to do is look at the animal world, the world under the sea, hidden little insects, or all the human beings in a grocery store - who of you looks alike?

God clearly loves diversity.  In all creation , is there any evidence to show that God is into uniformity?  We like it because it gives the ego a sense of control - a false one.  And we so constantly substitute uniformity for unity, obedience for love, and conformity for true loyalty...

God isn't sameness. 

OK, guys, that's about all the big thinking we can handle for today.


***