Wednesday, July 6, 2016

When We Were Clueless






I have a big old book of cartoons titled The New Yorker Album of Drawings 1925-1975.  Here's my take on what the cartoons, from 1925 through the depression, are saying:

Rich white men in that time had no idea that the world operating in order to give them every advantage was wrong.  They took their privilege totally for granted.  For instance a cartoon depicts two wealthy southern landowners sitting on the porch watching their black field workers pick cotton.  One says to the other, "Know what I miss?  I miss that soft, sweet singing.  That's what I miss."


Young women as seen as slim and stupid, yet conniving.  Older women are seen as fat and stupid.  All minorities are clearly seen as inferior.

There was a clear European class structure. Looking through the book this morning actually made me feel better about our situation today.  We've come a long way.



***