Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Grandma

We grandmas have an image to maintain.  That's why I had a little trepidation when Dave and I went to our little jewel of an indie theater, the Enzian, on Sunday to see Lily Tomlin in her new film, "Grandma."

Lily plays a 76 year old grandma.  In real life she and I are the same age. 76. She plays a poet.  I am a poet.  Her character and I had about the same amount of financial success with our poetry at about the same time in our lives.

Lily's "Grandma" is a lesbian, Elle, who's life partner died after a 38 year relationship.   I was in a 44 year relationship when my first husband died so I can relate there as well.

But that's about it as far as comparisons go.

Lily Tomlin and Sam Elliott
 Elle's relationship with her much younger new girlfriend explodes on the same day her granddaughter, Sage, arrives to tell her she's pregnant and needs an abortion - that day.

I, of course, have never been in that particular situation - but I've had some dozy days when life was exploding all around me.

 I loved this film.  It was entertaining and real throughout.  And it was short.  Elle is funny and cantankerous and foul mouthed and rude.  She's broke and relatively friendless - due, obviously, to some bad decision making - and her mouth!
Marsha Gay Harden, scary mom,
scary daughter.

"Grandma" is a road picture and a buddy picture.  My favorite scene was when she found her former husband, Sam Elliott, to hit him up for some cash.  I read several reviews that said their encounter should earn both of them Academy Award nominations.  I agree.

Marsha Gay Harden is so good in her roll as Elle's daughter and the Sage's mother.  Both of them are afraid of her.  Elle tells Sage, "I've been afraid of her since she was five."

Lily's counterculture ways are neither condemned or condoned.  In the end, the film is all about love.


***