Saturday, June 12, 2010

We're Goin' Up and You're Not

The other day we were in heavy traffic and moving fast. The car ahead of us had a bumper sticker that said something like "When the Rapture Comes this Car Will Be Driverless."



"I hope it doesn't happen while we're moving so fast," says I.



Of course, Dave has no idea what I'm talking about. That prompted a discussion of the meaning of "Rapture."



As far as I know it's a belief that Christ will come in the clouds and all of the "Christians," both dead and alive will bodily leave and go up to be with Christ in the clouds. This is based primarily on 1st Thessalonians 4:15-17.



...then the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air."



I have quotes around the word Christian because most of the folks who believe this have very specific rules for who qualifies. And they're different for various Rapture believing groups.



I'm all for groups interrupting their faith in whatever way they like. My problem with most of these Rapture folks is that they're pretty braggy about the fact that they're goin' up - and you're not!



The wildly popular "Left Behind" series of fiction books was all about this.



As you know, as a Christian who embraces the mystery of my faith, my answer to many theological questions is: I don't know.



I don't think that cuts it with the Rapture groups.



I like what Elaine said to her boyfriend, Puddy, in an old Seinfield episode when he was mad at her for stealing his Jesus fish and told her she was going to hell.



Elaine: "...the worst place in the world? With devils and those caves and the ragged clothes. And the heat...!"



Puddy: "Gonna be rough."



Elaine: "Then you should be trying to save me."



Puddy: "Don't boss me! This is why you're going to hell."





***