Monday, February 19, 2024

My Friend Amelia

 


Amelia, my good friend of 30 years, died yesterday.  She was a smart, funny extrovert who loved to travel and loved just being with people.  

Here's an example:   

My husband, Ken, died in 2004, after a long, dibilating illness.  He was a United Methodist minister here in Florida.  For the first nine years he was an urban minister.  His office was a downtown store front and he was free to do the kind of ministry both of us felt called to.  

Later on, the bishop assigned him to large, old downtown churches with big problems.  Ken was a change agent and proud of it. 

Later, we were sent to First United Methodist Church, West Palm Beach.  It was a horrendous situation.  The downtown had been obliterated.  The church building was the only thing standing.  Prior to our arriving it had been decided that this magnificent building, along with two smaller churches,  would be torn down and one large church would be built.  

All of these people were suffering and angry.  And who could blame them? 

It  was a horrible time.  Ken was a change agent,  They needed a loving counselor.  However, he got the job done, and, in addition, he suffered mightly and never really recovered. 

What does this have to do with Amelia?

After Ken died I wanted to somehow make amends with the folks in West Palm Beach.  I told Amelia and she wanted to help.  

I am an introvert.  Amelia was the epitome of an extrovert.  

The two of us spent a long weekend in West Palm Beach.  This was several years after Ken and I left the church. We visited a few of the old church people.  Amelia did much of the chit chat.  We attended  Sunday services and hung around and admired the beautiful new church.  Its name now is United Methodist Church of the Palm Beaches.  

We never mentioned Ken.  We just enjoyed these people and their new church.  I zeroed in on a few who'd suffered the most through the change.  Amelia asked me to point  out the people who were angry with  Ken. She zeroed in on them with pure love that only Amelia could pull off.  In addition, Amelia and I had so much fun.  We stayed in a quant little hotel, ate great sea food and explored the new downtown.    

This was a major healing event in my life and I never could have done it without Amelia. 


***