Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Love and Lent

 

Today is both Valentine's Day and the beginning of Lent.  I have had several decades of Valentine romance.  And it only got better as time went by.  

Today it is now a time of good memories.

 Lent is a period of fasting and regret for one's sins and is observed on the 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday to Easter.  For me, this has traditionally been a time of deep personal introspection.  

It's also a time for us to take a deep dive into our mortality.  I don't take this lightly.  I'm most likely a short timer here on this celestial ball. 

The Lenten service has always been meaningful to me so when I discovered my church was having a large service in the evening but none earlier, I was sad.  I no longer go out in the evening.  Bummer.

But then I heard that there might be a service at noon.  So, this morning I started out early to run some errands with the intention of ending up at church at noon.  I still had not seen anything in writing that there would be a service.

Some things went haywire early on.  The noise on the street made me sick, I had a hard time at the post office and, then at about 11 am I ended up at Panera Bread close to the church, for a late muffin and egg breakfast, but they were no longer serving breakfast.  Bummer.  I could go on, but you get the picture. 

So I'm walking to the church and I'm wondering if there will be a service and if there is, will I be the only person there?  Will it be loud?  I'm still hearing loud noise in my head (tinnitus) and can't handle anymore, even if it's beautiful music. 

I stepped into chapel.  Even after 30 years, I'm still in awe of its beauty. There was total silence.  But there were  20 plus older people present.  Most of whom I know.  There was a page of guided prayer and meditation. Pastor Rachel was up front in her jeans and liturgical stole.  After a while she greeted us and invited each of us to come forward to receive the imposition of ashes whenever we were ready.  She then sat down. And waited. 

So, very slowly, that's what happened.  

After a while of reading, deep breathing, mediating and introspection, I regained my bearings and went to the altar.  Pastor Rachel marked my forehead.  At that moment all was well with my soul.

This has turned out to be my best Valentine's Day in several years.

***