Thursday, January 24, 2013

Regret

Yesterday I began leading a class based on the book, "The Gift of Years" by Joan Chittister.  We had a full house and a fantastic discussion.  This will be a six week lunch study discussing the positive things about getting older.

Yes, there are many positives.

Somebody in the class observed that, since it is such a positive book, why is the first chapter called "Regret."  Good question.  My take on it is that we have to deal with and put to bed our many regrets about the past.  We all have them but if we don't let them go we can't possibly move forward in a positive way.

For instance, those of us who are parents all know that we could have done it better.  I wrote the poem below in the 1970's when I had four little kids running and crawling around the house. I must have been feeling some pressure at the time.

INFORMATION I WISH I DIDN'T HAVE

Part of Adolf Hitler's
personality problem
was due to
poor potty training. 


***