Thursday, June 15, 2017

Come From Away

Cast from Broadway's Come From Away
A while back I wrote that I was reading the book "The Day the World Came to Town."

On September 11, 2001, planes were denied landing in the air space above the United States "until further notice."  All of the planes in the air (over one thousand) coming to the states from other parts of the world had to find other places to land.  Thirty eight planes, containing almost 7,000 people, landed in the tiney town of Gander, Newfoundland.  I'm only about half way through the book, not  because I'm uninterested, but because I'm relishing every word, every detail.

As I said in the earlier blog posting, I was unaware of this story.

So, it was amazing to me when, on Sunday night, the the Canidian play, "Come From Away," won several Tony awards.  I wish I could see this wildy popular bear-hug of a musical. Chris Jones,
at the Chicago Tribune says this:

"Come From Away," one of the most successful Canadian musicals in history and a show celebrating the human kindness that greeted international airline passengers diverted to Gander, Newfoundloand on September 11, 2001... 

I noticed, during the Tonys, that Kevin Spacey pronounced "Newfoundland" correctly.  Rhymes with "Understand."


***