Monday, May 14, 2012

Stress Dreams

Do you have stress dreams?  I do.  Dave does occasionally.  His are almost always work related.  Mine are almost always a combination of family/work.

Take last night for example:  I dreamed that I had a bunch of hungry kids waiting for dinner, a house in chaos, a sick husband slumped in a wheelchair and I was late for work.  This was not only stressful but I had an overwhelming feeling of being so tired that I couldn't take care of any of it.

Why did I have this dream?

Because I was having a hot flash.  I was physically uncomfortable and it manifested itself in my brain by going back (in an exaggerated way)  to stressful but meaningful times in my life. I think this is probably like a mini PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) symptom.

I read an article this morning about early retirement.  One of the biggest reasons for it is that we're exhausted and, despite the fact we loved our work, we just can't do it anymore.

As for the stress dreams, it's good to wake up and know that, first, it's not really happening and, second, it's not going to happen.


***